Quebec City mosque shooting: At least five reportedly killed in Canada
Acording to Al Jazeera English
President of mosque in Canadian province says attackers opened fire during evening prayers, killing five.
At least five people were killed and several were wounded after gunmen opened fire at a mosque in Quebec City during evening prayers, the mosque’s president told reporters.
A witness told the Reuters news agency that up to three gunmen fired on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center on Sunday.
The shooting occurred at 8pm local time (01:00 GMT).
“There are many victims … there are deaths,” a Quebec police spokesman told reporters.
Two people have been arrested, police said.
Police later wrote on Twitter that the situation was under control after they evacuated people inside the mosque.
The mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, said: “Why is this happening here? This is barbaric.”
I’ve just spoken with Premier @phcouillard and am being briefed by our officials. We have offered any & all assistance needed.
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) January 30, 2017
Yangui, who was not inside the mosque during the shooting, received frantic calls from worshippers at evening prayers.
He did not know how many were injured, saying they had been taken to different hospitals across Quebec City.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted: “Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City. My thoughts are with victims & their families.”
— Yūsuf Badāt (@BadatYusuf) January 30, 2017